Gumberg Library seeks an energetic, creative, and forward-thinking Research and Instructional Design Librarian to join our team. The person appointed to this 12-month, non-tenure-track faculty position, will help design, deliver, and evaluate the library’s credit-bearing courses. They will also support the library’s instructional efforts through the design and creation of learning objects including tutorials and instructional web pages. They will work collaboratively with departmental colleagues, key stakeholders in units across the University, including the Center for Teaching Excellence, and the Educational Technology department. This position is situated within the Library’s Teaching, Research, and Engagement unit and reports to the Head of Teaching and Learning.
As a condition of employment, Duquesne University requires all new employees -full-time and part-time, including adjunct faculty-to get a COVID-19 vaccine and provide proof of their vaccination upon commencement of employment.
New employees requesting a religious or documented medical exemption from the vaccine must complete and submit a Duquesne University exemption request form for review and approval. To receive the appropriate exemption request form, contact email@example.com. Employees with approved exemptions will be required to be tested on a regular basis.
- Work closely with the Head of Teaching and Learning and other stakeholders to develop and implement a programmatic approach to information literacy instruction, including reviewing, revising and rebuilding the credit-bearing courses offered by Gumberg Library.
- Create, deliver, and assess face-to-face and online information literacy instruction.
- Design engaging instructional materials.
- Maintain expertise and remain current on topics including information literacy, instructional design, learning theories, learning technologies, and open educational resources
- Serve as a liaison to academic units as assigned. Provide specialized research and instructional assistance to assigned subject areas.
- Provide support for comprehensive literature searching including evidence synthesis reviews and documentation of scholarship; provide general research assistance in accordance with the library’s mission and user service guidelines.
- In alignment with promotional criteria, develop a focused portfolio of high-quality research and creative accomplishments, and participate in relevant continuing education activities in librarianship and instructional design.
- M.L.S. or M.L.I.S. from an American Library Association accredited institution or foreign equivalent
- Experience with instruction in a higher education setting and understanding of teaching pedagogies
- Demonstrated knowledge of learning management systems such as Canvas or Blackboard.
- Demonstrated knowledge of design software for online learning such as Articulate Storyline and TechSmith Camtasia.
- Experience working on multiple projects simultaneously, employing strategic prioritization of work and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with others with respect and empathy, especially within a team setting
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills
- Commitment to inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility in all aspects of work
- Experience as a professional librarian in an academic library setting
- Additional degree or experience in Educational Technology, Instructional Design, Education, or a related field
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a science or health sciences field or experience working with a science or technology community
- Experience assisting faculty with OER initiatives
- Experience completing evidence-synthesis reviews
- Knowledge of ADA compliance issues in online and blended/hybrid courses and website development
Alternately, the successful candidate may possess any equivalent combination of experience and training, which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the essential job functions. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Commitment to the University’s values of diversity, equity and inclusion, and recognition of the importance of treating each individual with dignity and respect consistent with the University’s Mission. Demonstrated experience with, and understanding of, the broad diversity of the University community (students, faculty, staff and others).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the University Community.
- Ability and willingness to contribute actively to the mission of the University and to respect the Spiritan Catholic identity of Duquesne University. The mission is implemented through a commitment to academic excellence, a spirit of service, moral and spiritual values, sensitivity to world concerns, and an ecumenical campus community.
Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Catholic in its mission and ecumenical in spirit, Duquesne University values equality of opportunity as an educational institution and as an employer. We aspire to attract and sustain a diverse faculty and staff that reflects contemporary society, serves our academic goals and enriches our campus community. We particularly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups and support dual-career couples through our charter membership in this region’s HERC (http://www.hercjobs.org/oh-western-pa-wv/).
We invite applicants for this position to learn more about our university and its Spiritan heritage by visiting http://www.duq.edu/about/mission-and-identity/mission-statement. Those invited to campus for an interview may be asked about ways in which they see their talents contributing to the continued growth of our community and furthering its mission.
Duquesne University was founded in 1878 by its sponsoring religious community, the Congregation of the Holy Spirit. Duquesne University is Catholic in mission and ecumenical in spirit. Motivated by its Catholic identity, Duquesne values equality of opportunity both as an educational institution and as an employer.
For more information and to apply, visit https://www.duq.edu/work-at-du/careers/faculty-hiring/gumberg/research-and-instructional-design-librarian