Come join us at Montclair State University, where we have a diverse and welcoming campus community, and where student success is considered a priority. The library participates in many student success initiatives with various campus partners. Our lovely campus is located 12 miles west of NYC, with an NJ Transit train station right on campus. This is a 12-month, tenure-track position. Please reach out to Siobhan McCarthy (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions about the library, university, or the position. Inquiries about salary can be directed to email@example.com.
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Collections and Discovery, the Head for Access Services & Resource Sharing is the member of the University Libraries leadership team responsible for the provision of excellent service and the efficient operation of all access and resource sharing functions. The Department Head is dedicated to creating a welcoming and supportive environment for all community members and providing patrons with seamless access to collections, resources and spaces at both university libraries.
This is a 12-month, tenure-track position with concurrent academic rank. Salary range is $85-110,000 commensurate with experience.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides oversight for the services, policies and plans of a department that includes circulation services, resource sharing and interlibrary loan services, course reserves, stacks management, study room services, and access to specialized collections in a multilingual service environment.
- Establishes a vision and goals for the unit, fosters a consistent and coordinated public service approach, and collaborates with the heads of other library departments and colleagues at the Bloomfield College Library to support the University Libraries’ mission and strategic goals.
- Hires and directly supervises a diverse access services support team that includes civil service staff; and directs the work of the Front Desk
- Supervisor, who manages the daily service desk operations, and supervises the unit’s part-time staff and student workers. Supports, develops, coaches, and inspires staff in the mission to provide outstanding service and elevate the visibility of the University Libraries.
- Takes a broad system-wide perspective while representing the department’s needs with the University Libraries’ management team and others to set policies and procedures that enhance the quality of library use for all patrons.
- Collaborates with internal and external entities to establish and develop programs, services, and consortial relationships beneficial to constituents, the library, and the university.
- Manages interlibrary loan and circulation functions of the integrated library system (OCLC WorldShare Management Services).
- Serves as a departmental liaison as a member of the library faculty.
- Keeps informed of professional trends and practices. Participates in Library, University and other professional activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited library school.
- A minimum of five years of successful library management of an access services, resource sharing, or public services department.
- Experience setting staff performance expectations and directing work to support Library and University goals
- Knowledge of current and/or emerging access services and resource sharing trends in academic libraries.
- Strong cultural awareness and demonstrated commitment to supporting diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and accessibility.
- History of, or strong potential for scholarly, creative, or professional work appropriate to a tenure track position in the library.
- Second Master’s degree in another subject area.
- Experience working in a consortial lending environment.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
- Spanish language fluency.
PROCEDURE FOR CANDIDACY
Applicants should include a resume and cover letter describing how their background, skills and education match the needs of the University. When applying, please take a moment to carefully read and follow the steps in the application instructions.
Cataloging, Metadata, and Archives Services
For questions or concerns, please contact Human Resources’ Workday Recruiting Support at 973-655-5000 (Option 2), or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity.
Additional information can be found on the website at
Title IX and 34 C.F.R. 106 Policy
Montclair State is required by Title IX and 34 C.F.R. 106 not to discriminate on the basis of sex or gender, and does not discriminate on the basis of sex or gender in the operation of education programs and activities. The requirement to not discriminate on the basis of sex or gender in the operation of education programs and activities extends to admission and employment. For further details, please visit: https://www.montclair.edu/human-resources/job-seekers/