Messiah University invites applications for the position of Library Director of Murray Library.
Provide visionary leadership of Murray Library, supervising library staff and overseeing the library’s learning resources.
M.L.S. or other equivalent graduate library/information science degree. ALA-accredited.
7-10 years library experience, a significant portion of which must be in an academic library.
Skills, Characteristics Required for Position
• Broad knowledge of library and information field and of the broader academic enterprise
• Knowledge of current issues and trends in scholarly communication, pedagogy, and librarianship such as information literacy, copyright, plagiarism, intellectual freedom, technology, and evidence-based improvement
• Demonstrated administrative and management experience in library settings, including advocacy, budgeting, collection development, resource sharing, and personnel
• Strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
• Experience in developing diverse and inclusive learning and working environments
• A record of collaborative leadership
• Familiarity with communications and other technologies related to contemporary library operations
1. Provide strategic vision and leadership for the library, working effectively with faculty and staff across campus as an advocate for the library in accord with the institutional mission.
2. Oversee all aspects of library administration, including long term planning, budget development and control, community and public relations, personnel selection/performance appraisal of librarians and assistant to the director, facilities management, effective stewardship, and ongoing assessment of library resources.
3. Lead library staff in providing effective services and responding to user needs.
4. Foster an organizational culture of collegiality and service within the library and on campus.
5. Serve on campus committees and act as the library’s liaison to senior college administrators.
6. Provide general oversight of marketing of library resources and services.
7. Oversee selection of all learning resources, utilizing a decentralized, teaching faculty/librarian liaison collection development program.
8. Serve as chair of the Library Committee.
9. Contribute to profession of librarianship on local, regional, and national levels.
10. Maintain consistent and reliable attendance.
1. Assist with teaching library information literacy sessions as needed.
2. Other duties as assigned.