Villanova University’s Falvey Library seeks an enthusiastic, innovative, and collaborative professional to shape and deliver programs of library instruction, research assistance, scholarly outreach, and resource management in a dynamic academic library environment.
Reporting to the Director of Research Services and Scholarly Engagement, the STEM Librarian serves as the library’s expert on research, learning culture, and information practices in the sciences. The successful candidate will share their expertise through instruction and consultations and the design of educational resources to facilitate student and faculty scholarship. The incumbent will serve as liaison to science departments in the College of Arts & Sciences. In this role they will advocate for their constituents’ needs to other library staff. They select, assess, and deselect assigned subject collections to support the research and curricular needs of faculty and students. They build and maintain collaborative relationships with faculty and students and develop innovative marketing strategies to ensure awareness of library services.
The STEM librarian participates in a collaborative model of reference and research support. They lead or coordinate one or more services, programs, committees, and/or initiatives and contribute to programs and initiatives of Falvey Library, Villanova University, and professional organizations, as appropriate.
Qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and life experiences are encouraged to apply. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University’s mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University’s mission and values.
The library offers flexible work schedules which allow some remote work. The University’s competitive benefits package includes tuition benefits among others. A 35-hour work week with the possibility of reduced work hours in summer.
- MLS or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited institution, or an advanced degree in a relevant discipline.
- Academic background, professional experience, or understanding of the information needs and information sources in the sciences.
- Familiarity with the scholarly communications process including discipline specific repositories and open access requirements for federally funded research.
- Familiarity with ACRL Information Literacy Standards and Framework and their application to instructional design.
- Experience with e-learning content delivery technologies and tools.
- Demonstrated interest and enthusiasm for developing and maintaining relationships with user communities.
- Experience in or capacity for developing creative and entrepreneurial approaches to promoting and delivering reference, instruction and/or outreach services to an academic community and for developing research level science collections.
- Facility for independent exploration of emerging technologies impacting higher education and academic libraries.
- Strong grasp of current issues, trends, and technologies impacting higher education and academic libraries.
- Independence and initiative in liaison work, including ability to be flexible and manage competing priorities.
- Collaborative approach to problem solving and working across organizational boundaries in service of user needs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills, including ability to effectively collaborate with colleagues.
To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and list of three references with contact information via the Jobs at Villanova website: https://jobs.villanova.edu/postings/26698
This position is subject to the University’s background check policy.