Villanova University’s Falvey Library seeks a highly motivated individual to oversee and work collaboratively on the lifecycle of metadata management for Falvey collections. This position is a member of the Resource Management & Description department and together with the current Metadata Librarian plays a key role in implementing efficient workflows in description management.
Reporting to the Director of Resource Management & Description, the Metadata Librarian (ML) manages complex projects pertaining to cataloging and resource description using a wide variety of metadata standards (including MARC, AACR2, RDA, Dublin Core, MODS, METS and RDF/BIBFRAME), ensuring descriptions meet accepted metadata standards. Creates, edits, and maintains bibliographic data for library collections, with an emphasis on problem solving for items requiring more than routine handling, including special collections materials, non-print monograph formats, and non-English language materials. Responsible for creating and maintaining data in central resource sharing databases such as OCLC WorldCat. Provides guidance on metadata creation and practice for distinctive and digital collections in consultation with the Director of Distinctive Collections & Digital Engagement. Manages projects related to authority control. Delegates, assigns, and trains student workers and staff on metadata tasks as needed.
The ML coordinates activities in the areas of metadata creation and maintenance for materials in all formats. Creates, improves, and documents policies, workflows, and procedures related to resource description, with particular attention to the library’s migration to the FOLIO ILS. Evaluates, recommends, and optimizes tools for metadata management. Helps staff develop talents and skills related to metadata management in support of the operations of Resource Management and Description.
Qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and life experiences are encouraged to apply. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University’s mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University’s mission and values.
The Library offers flexible work schedules which allow some remote work. The University’s competitive benefits package includes tuition benefits among others. A 35-hour work week with the possibility of reduced work hours in summer.
- MLS or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited institution required.
- Minimum 1+ years of experience progressively responsible metadata management in libraries. Preferred: 3+ years of progressively responsible metadata management experience in academic libraries.
- In-depth knowledge of best practices, issues, technologies, and trends in bibliographic description management.
- Advanced knowledge of various descriptive, encoding metadata standards including AACR2, RDA, DC, RDF, etc.
- Broad knowledge of metadata applications and tools among different disciplines and different metadata communities.
- Advanced knowledge of current trends and issues in resource description management.
- Demonstrated ability and independent exploration of appropriate technologies affecting description management and academic libraries.
- Successful experience managing complex projects.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance
- Proven record of ongoing professional development.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Capacity for higher-level strategic analysis of technology trends.
- Collaborative approach to problem solving and working across organizational boundaries in service of user needs.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, exercise flexibility in meeting objectives, effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously, and adjust as circumstances change.
- Demonstrated interest and enthusiasm for developing and maintaining relationships with diverse user communities.
- Excellent communication, analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills with the ability to present information and ideas clearly and concisely.
- High level of creativity, innovation, and strong concept skills.
- Meets organizational competencies identified by the library.
- Serious commitment to excellence, quality, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Proficiency with MS Office products and Integrated Library System (ILS).
- Working knowledge of one or more non-English languages, preferred.
The successful candidate will be appointed an appropriate Librarian rank depending on qualifications and experience.
Falvey Library is situated in the heart of campus and is central to academic life at Villanova University. Falvey, with a dedicated staff of approximately 50 FTE, is a friendly and exciting place to be that values work-life balance. The Library developed VuFind, an open-source ILS discovery layer, which is used by organizations world-wide, and was the university library recipient of the ACRL 2013 Excellence in Academic Libraries Award.
Villanova University is located on a beautiful 260-acre suburban campus close to Philadelphia and was founded in 1842 by the Order of Saint Augustine. Villanova provides a comprehensive education rooted in the liberal arts; a shared commitment to the Augustinian ideals of veritas, unitas, and caritas; and a community dedicated to service to others.
Nominations and Applications:
To be considered, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and list of three references with contact information via the Jobs at Villanova website: http://jobs.villanova.edu. This position is subject to the University’s background check policy.
Example for Covid-19 policies on campus:
Villanova University requires COVID-19 vaccinations for all students, faculty, and staff. Exemptions may be granted for medical or religious reasons.