Juniata College seeks an experienced, flexible, and innovative academic librarian to join our Statton Learning Commons team as the lead librarian on Electronic Resources. As a part of the Statton Learning Commons team, this position will contribute to shaping the Learning Common’s strategic direction, strengthen library services planning and evaluation, and promoting efficient and collaborative workflows across departments, systems, and projects with a focus on meeting the challenges of the 21st century academic library at an evolving and recognized liberal arts college.
The Electronic Resources Librarian is responsible for developing and delivering robust and broad access to digital information, providing students, faculty, and staff with a professionally-managed environment in which to locate, publish, curate, and preserve materials including scholarship, research data, teaching resources, and archival records. This position is expected to strategically leverage consortia relationships and also coordinates the library’s open access initiatives, provides support for scholarly research and communications, and collaborates with the Statton Learning Commons team to assist faculty and students with outreach, education, training, and collaborative projects. The Electronic Resources Librarian serves as library liaison to selected academic departments and teaches information literacy at the undergraduate level.
Lead the development, assessment, and administration of electronic resources that further the mission of the college.
- Manage the life cycle of electronic resources including maintaining relationships with consortia and vendors, setting up trials, submitting invoices for payment, listing resources on the library website, setting up, and troubleshooting access.
- Maintain user access to databases, online collections, and other electronic resources.
- Play an active role in the administration of integrated library systems and other technologies that support electronic resources and scholarly communication.
- Develop and deliver training related to electronic resources and scholarly communication projects and initiatives.
- Write and maintain documentation of policies and procedures related to electronic resources maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Develop and maintain relationships with library consortia that enable resources that strategically benefit Juniata and library services.
Plan, implement, and evaluate innovative, sustainable, and inclusive scholarly communication services, systems, and policies that support open access, preservation, and broad dissemination of college research and scholarly work.
Library liaison to multiple departments, providing targeted library and information literacy support tailored to specific departments – Provides general and virtual information, research and reference services in a variety of formats. Provide research assistance to students and instruction informed by ACRL guidelines for information literacy, create and maintain research guides, tutorials, and other instructional materials, and maintain regular communication with faculty and administrators in assigned departments as a library liaison.
- Library Research Guides
- Collection Development
In partnership with the Learning Commons team and campus community, develop and implement strategic library initiatives that continuously improve electronic resources within the context of the College’s mission and strategic plan.
- Assists with annual fiscal year budget development related to electronic resources
- Formulates and implements library policies that enable faculty, students, and the larger college community to effectively access the information that supports research, teaching, and learning.
- Work with various constituencies and departments in fund raising and grant opportunities.
- Review, recommend, and implement of an Institutional Repository.
Provide copyright and other scholarly communication expertise for library initiatives.
Engages in professional development activities as appropriate to meet personal and departmental goals and objectives.
Engages in pertinent ongoing service, research, scholarship, and/or creative activity as related to functions of job, mission of Library and of Juniata College.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduate degree in library or information science or other appropriate field preferred; 3-5 years of experience in academic or other libraries preferred; Experience providing research/reference services; Teaching experience, whether in a library or other educational setting preferred
- Record of collaboration with faculty and students that demonstrate a deep understanding of information literacy and the scholarly communication process.
- Experience working with consortia and vendors in the piloting, selection, and ongoing use of electronic resources.
- Demonstrated strengths in the identification and use of library related technologies, such as integrated library systems, database management, content management systems (Springshare products), institutional repositories, common operating systems, and multimedia training tools.
- Ability to leverage assessment for continuous improvement.
- Ability to take initiative, work both independently and collaboratively, handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Interest in working in a dynamic environment and a willingness to be flexible and experiment.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving, time management, and communication skills.
- Evidence of a strong and inclusive user service philosophy.
- Knowledge of strategies to improve open access, increase adoption of open educational resources, and educate others on copyright and intellectual property protocols.
- Friendly demeanor with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact in an empathetic and positive manner.
- Ability to quickly learn and apply knowledge to improve procedures and processes.
- Ability to use absolute discretion when dealing with sensitive, confidential materials; familiarity with FERPA a plus.