JOB TITLE: Student Success and Instruction Librarian
DEPARTMENT: The Statton Learning Commons
The Student Success and Instruction Librarian leads the library’s efforts to provide equitable information literacy instruction and successful delivery of library services to the Juniata community. The Student Success and Instruction Librarian works closely with the library team, faculty, students, and the college community to develop library services and programs that support student success, recruitment, and retention. This position’s duties also include reference services, collection development, teaching, scholarly activities, and service.
(20) Leads the Information Literacy instruction plan for campus
• Fosters partnerships and works with campus partners (e.g. Writing Center, SoTL, Learning Services, Accessibility Office, etc.) to ensure the library instruction program supports student success.
• Works collaboratively with the Office of Digital Learning to build effective workshops and training opportunities to engage with information literacy and critical pedagogy in online, inperson, and hybrid environments and to incorporate innovative technologies for instruction
• Trains and manages First Year Experience Peer Outreach Program
• Sets information literacy instruction goals for each level or type of course tied to the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy
• Assess library information literacy instruction and make adjustments to instruction plan based on that assessment
• Coordinates with, and may serve as library liaison to other campus offices to ensure library information literacy efforts meet student needs and support retention efforts
• Markets Info Lit instruction plan to other campus offices
(20) Coordinates library outreach between librarians, campus partners, and community
• Build relationships with faculty, students, and other campus groups to encourage an active and engaged library user community
• Develops annual library outreach calendar (coordinated with other librarians)
• Coordinates and may act as library representative for other events hosted in partnership with the library in the building
• Serves as library liaison to some offices and participates in institutional committees
• Assess library outreach and make adjustments to best meet campus needs
• Maintains a deep knowledge of current issues and emerging trends in library outreach and identifies relevant initiatives for local implementation.
• Works in partnership with the library team to maintain library’s social media accounts, webpages, and libguides.
• Provide library tours and orientation for groups as needed. Represent the library at college events.
(40) Library liaison to multiple departments, providing targeted library and information literacy support tailored to specific departments – Provides general and virtual information, research and reference services in a variety of formats (i.e., texting, online chat, email, face-to-face, etc.). Provide research assistance to students and instruction informed by ACRL guidelines for information literacy, create and maintain research guides, tutorials, and other instructional materials, and maintain regular communication with faculty and administrators in assigned departments as a library liaison.
• Library Research Guides
• Collection Development
(10) In partnership with the Learning Commons team and campus community develop and implement strategic library initiatives that continuously improve student success and instruction within the context of the College’s mission and strategic plan.
• Assists with annual fiscal year budget development related to Access Services, Instruction, and Outreach Services.
• Formulates and implements library policies that enable faculty, students, and the larger college community to effectively access the information that supports research, teaching, and learning.
• Work with various constituencies and departments in fund raising and grant opportunities.
(5) Engages in professional development activities as appropriate to meet personal and departmental goals and objectives.
(5) Engages in pertinent ongoing service, research, scholarship, and/or creative activity as related to functions of job, mission of Library and of Juniata College.
• Master of Library Science or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited institution.
• At least 3-5 years of experience in an academic library related to providing innovative library instruction.
• Record of collaboration with faculty and students that demonstrate a deep understanding of information literacy and the scholarly communication process.
• Demonstrated interest or documented experience supporting faculty.
• Experience working coordinating outreach.
• Demonstrated strengths in the identification and use of library related technologies, such as integrated library systems, database management, content management systems (Springshare products), institutional repositories, common operating systems, and multimedia training tools.
• Ability to leverage assessment for continuous improvement.
• Ability to take initiative, work both independently and collaboratively, handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and complete tasks in a timely manner.
• Interest in working in a dynamic environment and a willingness to be flexible and experiment.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with library colleagues and the campus community.
• Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving, time management, and communication skills.
• Evidence of a strong and inclusive user service philosophy.
• Knowledge of strategies to improve open access, increase adoption of open educational resources, and educate others on copyright and intellectual property protocols.
• Friendly demeanor with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact in an empathetic and positive manner.
• Ability to quickly learn and apply knowledge to improve procedures and processes.
• Attention to detail and ability to meet scheduling expectations.
• Ability to use absolute discretion when dealing with sensitive, confidential materials; familiarity with FERPA a plus.
For more information, and to apply, please visit: https://juniata.peopleadmin.com/