Reports to: PALCI Executive Director
Independent contractor position, part-time remote work, ~ 10 hours per week
Available: June 1, 2022
PALCI seeks an enthusiastic, tech-savvy, results-oriented person to serve as our new Nonprofit Business Manager. This is a part-time, contract-based, remote work position (8-15 hours/week) who will work closely with PALCI staff and our contracted external finance team under the direction of the Executive Director.
The Nonprofit Business Manager will oversee smooth operation of remote office and business administration, and is charged with proactively noticing and addressing the consortium’s administrative and business operations needs. This role is critical in ensuring that PALCI remains a vibrant, responsive, and effective member organization by completing organizational and management tasks that support PALCI’s productivity.
The successful candidate is a highly productive, detail-oriented, organized individual who takes pride in their work and enjoys collaborating closely with a small distributed team. The person in this role is expected to build trust by consistently demonstrating PALCI values.
Values – PALCI invites applications from candidates who share PALCI’s core value of continuously earning and renewing mutual trust by consistently demonstrating operational excellence, transparency, innovation, and respect for diversity and privacy. PALCI strongly encourages the application of individuals from diverse backgrounds, including but not limited to diversity in race, ethnicity, culture, age, disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
- Management, coordination, support of business operations functions with a focus on functional areas including finance/accounting, business processes and procedures, human resources, contracting, and remote office infrastructure:
- Management of PALCI’s online accounts for banking, grants and other services
- Invoicing/finance support and A/R and A/P tracking to support positive cash flow, making use of tools including ConsortiaManager and QuickBooks Online
- Assists Executive Director with weekly bill pay process
- Supports the Board’s Treasurer and Finance Committee as needed
- Administrative and logistical support to the Executive Director and Board of Directors
- Support for staff and contracted consultants in completion of tax documentation, grant reports, audit processes, business reports, procurement forms/systems, and other forms of documentation
- Design and implementation of filing structures and infrastructure that support PALCI’s document retention policy per nonprofit guidelines and best practices
- Review, processing, and filing of contracts for vended services, platforms and technologies, and library materials
- Support for procurement, purchasing, events, and travel
- Support for organizational transparency by assisting PALCI staff in activities related to governance, accounting, and communications
- Develops and maintains documentation, organizational procedures, policies, and governance documents in PALCI’s online community spaces
- Maintenance and organization of PALCI’s main administrative email inbox
- Collection of data for completion of monthly, quarterly and annual value and other consortium reports
- Management of member information and agreements
- Evaluate and recommend new services and approaches to meet operations needs
- Approach large and small tasks with flexibility and great attention to detail. Projects, tasks, and responsibilities will vary greatly throughout the year as organizational needs and activities evolve. Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in pertinent training and experience in information management or business administration support
- Business/nonprofit experience with remote work office settings, preferred
- Accounting or contracting/procurement experience, preferred
Demonstrated Ability to:
- Work independently and in small teams, with excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Work effectively in remote / all-electronic office operations with excellent attention to detail
- Use analytical and organizational skills to solve problems and remain flexible and willing to adapt as changes occur
- Handle confidential information appropriately
- Use advanced spreadsheets functionality and office productivity tools (e.g., Excel and Google Sheets)
- Comfortably use online communications, productivity, and business management tools, including as Zoom, Gmail, QuickBooks Online, Google Suite/Google Drive, Adobe Acrobat Pro, and basic web editing software (e.g., WordPress)
- Work with staff and contracted consultants related to multiple operations, including the production of tax documents (not limited to the annual Form 990), support for management of PALCI’s member information database (ConsortiaManager), and maintenance of accounts payable and receivable accuracy.
- Provide friendly and clear communication with attention to detail
- Thrive in a fast paced, learning environment
This position is an independent contractor, working on a 12-month contractual agreement with flexible hours and schedule that may vary, depending on the needs of the organization.
PALCI maintains a 100% distributed virtual office environment. PALCI will supply required hardware and software at the discretion of the Executive Director.
Independent contractors are expected to create their own environment conducive to productive work, including an adequate workspace with a robust Internet connection, and any office equipment required by the employee, including an office desk, chair, or other desired peripherals. PALCI’s work is conducted primarily through frequent web-based meetings using Zoom, phone, and email. PALCI staff regularly use Google, Microsoft and Adobe applications.
Other Workplace Requirements
- Must supply an adequate workspace and a robust internet connection that is highly conducive to online meetings
- Must be able to attend Zoom/virtual meetings
- Location within the PALCI region (Pennsylvania or contiguous states) preferred
Compensation & Benefits
Contractors are paid monthly based on submission of monthly invoices and completion of stated deliverables. Anticipated Hiring Range: $30-45+/hour, dependent on qualifications and experience. This position is contract-based and not benefits eligible.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until filled with first consideration given to applications received by May 15, 2022. PALCI is an equal opportunity employer.
The Partnership for Academic Library Collaboration & Innovation is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization with a reputation for outstanding leadership, innovation, and expertise. PALCI was formed in 1996 as the Pennsylvania Academic Library Consortium, Inc., a grassroots federation of 35 academic libraries in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Today, PALCI’s staff are employees of the nonprofit membership organization, which consists of more than 70 academic and research libraries, private and public, in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, and New York. PALCI libraries range from small liberal arts colleges to large publicly funded universities, and include both public and private research institutions and organizations, including six several Association of Research Libraries (ARL) institutions. Libraries in PALCI have holdings in excess of 144 million and a combined FTE of more than 500,000 students.
Mission – PALCI enables cost-effective and sustainable access to information resources and services for academic libraries in Pennsylvania and surrounding states.
Vision – PALCI is the trusted and preferred partnership for academic library collaboration and innovation.
Values – PALCI operates on mutual trust. It is PALCI’s responsibility to continuously earn and renew that trust by consistently demonstrating operational excellence, transparency, innovation, and respect for diversity and privacy.