The University of Pittsburgh’s Division of Philanthropic & Alumni Engagement (PAE) cultivates relationships with contributors, alumni, and other constituents on behalf of the University of Pittsburgh and UPMC, generating support for teaching, research, and care. As the hub for development and alumni relations efforts, PAE contributes to a bold, vibrant, and diverse academic community. Primarily, we focus on:
- Philanthropy to the University and UPMC which drives innovation and enhances opportunities for students, faculty, researchers, and clinicians
- Alumni relationships expressed across a community of 318,000 alumni spanning the globe
This purposeful, collaborative work—supported by your engagement and giving—ensures that Pitt and UPMC grow stronger each year, benefitting this community, our region, and the wider world. PAE fosters an intentionally inclusive workforce through a diversity framework that commits to collaborating and expanding the culture, identity, and wholeness of every staff member in measurable and deliberate ways.
The University Library System (ULS) at the University of Pittsburgh (https://www.library.pitt.edu) is a member of the Association of Research Libraries. It consists of 10 libraries and employs 63 faculty librarians and 84 staff. The ULS aspires to stand at the center of intellectual life at the University of Pittsburgh, foster connections and knowledge creation that help faculty, students, and researchers from around the world to excel in research, scholarship, and creative expression. It supports and enhances faculty and student productivity through its extensive collections, innovative programs and spaces, and user-centered focus. Among our strategic priorities are research support, digital scholarship and creation, entrepreneurship, and innovation. We are repositioning our services to respond to and anticipate changes in research, teaching, and learning. We are also amid a top-to-bottom renovation of Hillman Library, the central library of the University of Pittsburgh campus. The reinvented Hillman (http://library.pitt.edu/hillmanreinvention) will be a light-filled home to spaces, from vibrant to serene, for digital making and exploration, showcasing unique collections, advancing academic study, and fostering energetic, collaborative exchange. This is an exciting time to join the Pitt library system and contribute to envisioning the library of the future.
This position is primarily in person; flexible work arrangements are within the policy established by the University and typically do not exceed more than 2 days per week on the average, provided that this does not interfere with the public services mission of the library.
The University of Pittsburgh’s Division of Philanthropic & Alumni Engagement (PAE) in partnership with University Library Systems (ULS) is seeking a Director of Development, University Library System to join a progressive team within our Individual Giving Schools & Centers Department and support the Hillman University Library.
The incumbent is expected to write an annual plan and work independently to meet specific goals. This position reports to the Director of Development, Strategic Initiatives, Individual Giving, Schools and Centers and the Director of the University Library System.
The Director of Development for the University Library System will:
- Be responsible for all fundraising activities in support of the University Library System and will function within University-wide development and alumni relations leveraging central resources and collaboration
- Be responsible for Individual major and special gift fundraising, which includes identifying, cultivating, and soliciting prospects, stewarding donors, and managing the gift pipeline for the library system
- Partner with PAE colleagues in Corporate and Foundation Relations on potential gifts and grants from foundations and corporations, in concert with the Hillman University Librarian and Director of the University Library System
- Serve as the key partner for the Hillman University Librarian and Director of the University Library System on all development, board of visitors, constituent relations, and donor stewardship initiatives
- Work collaboratively with the University Librarian and others to develop compelling cases for support for library funding priorities and to execute fundraising strategies for these priorities
- Serve as the primary liaison to the central major gift team for the University Library System, as well as PAE’s annual giving team
- Receive administrative support from the ULS administrative team, as well as a generous travel allowance
- Serve on the Library Management Team and have access and ability to influence the Library’s strategic directions
- Bachelor’s degree with 7+ years of direct fundraising experience
- Strong project management skills and experience
- Superior interpersonal communication skills, experience navigating complex work settings
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office products and social media platforms to facilitate work
- Knowledge and experience working in a non-profit fundraising environment, as well as building strategic partnerships internally and externally and leveraging relationships to advance strategic objectives is preferred
- Demonstrate a track record of success in closing major gifts ($100K+); initiative and leadership; innovative and imaginative thinking towards expanding the fundraising opportunities for the ULS; superior oral and written communication skills with an ability to persuade; strong organizational skills; and an exceptional ability to communicate with a variety of University alumni, donors, faculty, staff, senior leadership, and friends
- Knowledge of and experience working in the higher education environment and the ability to translate that mission in ways that engage and inspire donors and alumni is strongly preferred
- The successful candidate will possess passion for the vision and mission of research libraries
- This position requires regular travel and occasional evening and weekend work
Equivalent combination of education and transferable / relatable experience will be considered per University guidelines
The University of Pittsburgh is committed to championing all aspects of diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility within our community. This commitment is a fundamental value of the University and is crucial in helping us advance our mission, which includes attracting and retaining diverse workforces. We will continue to create and maintain an environment that allows individuals to discover, belong, contribute, and grow, while honoring the experiences, perspectives, and unique identities of all.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values equality of opportunity, human dignity and diversity. EOE, including disability/vets.
The University of Pittsburgh requires all Pitt constituents (employees and students) on all campuses to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved exemption. Visit coronavirus.pitt.edu to learn more about this requirement.
Assignment Category Full-time regular
Job Classification Staff.Director – Development
Job Family Philanthropy & Engagement
Job Sub-Family Major & Principal Gifts
Minimum Education Level Required Bachelor’s Degree
Minimum Years of Experience Required 6
Will this position accept substitution in lieu of education or experience? Combination of education and relevant experience will be considered in lieu of education and/ or experience requirement.
Work Schedule Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Work Arrangement Hybrid: Combination of On-Campus and Remote work as determined by the department.
Hiring Range TBD Based Upon Qualifications
Relocation Offered No
Visa Sponsorship Provided No
Background Check For position finalists, employment with the University will require successful completion of a background check
Child Protection Clearances Not Applicable
Required Documents Resume, Cover Letter
Optional Documents Not Applicable
Essential Functions N/A
Physical Effort N/A
For more information, and to apply, please visit: https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_staff_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=23002515&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York